Monday, November 16, 2020

P3 Location recce, back-up locations, health and safety

Due to rainy weather and coronavirus restrictions this location recce is a bit different and part of it will be done remotely. Location recces involve scouting out possible angles, looking at lighting conditions, accessibility - all to determine if it is fit for purpose and can accommodate my needs in terms of filming and desired look.  

Location 1 - House:

The first location is Wills house (the actor's.) As will and I are in the same 'covid bubble' this is deemed safe. His house is easily accessible and often free which means that filming dates are flexible and in surplus. In addition filming in this location is ideal as we have lots of space and time to allow for more creativity/ control. No back-up location needed, if the house wasn't free then we would just film on a day where it was as there are many. 

Images: 


The kitchen is quite cluttered which makes for good B-roll and sort of fits the boredom feeling. However I will have to be careful not to knock anything over when setting up my camera as I need to use this countertop to acquire a specific angle of the table in the dining area. 



There are many unique objects and subjects that are fitting for B-roll to give a better feeling of what the location is like to the viewer. This also shows the type of lighting there is in the house, warm tones are desirable for my video especially in this setting - I outlined why in my proposal. 


I tried setting up my camera, on the tripod in different positions and angles to see how flexible and creative I could be with angles when shooting. This set up was difficult and quite flimsy as it required a chair however in the end it was safe and stable - I believe it will work well when shooting. 


This was the angle I got when setting the camera and tripod up on the kitchen counter. This angle was difficult to get as I had to remember that my frame size would be cropped to 4:3 and so I found that I needed to use a fisheye attachment. The lighting worked well in this set-up and I will shoot like this when it comes to it. 


This angle which shows the living room was fairly simple and easy but also required the fish eye attachment which did lead to distortion however this isn't a bad thing as this look could work well for the overall feeling of the video. Lighting could have been too dark however WB was fine. 



Map: 


Location 2- Ilkley Moors and the woods: 

This location is nice and barren which supports the message behind the video and means that EWS works very well - giving a minimalistic look. Also as this location is outdoors and public it means that as long as distancing rules are followed there doesn't need to be a back-up location as it will always be legally accessible.

Images: 




Paths between heather worked well as natural lead-in lines


Wide angles with minimal compositions 

Nice autumnal colours and dramatic clouds work well with EWS 


Test image to try out an effect that I may use

Complimentary green tones work well accompanied by the excess vertical lines 

Low angles worked really well here as the light would leak through the trees

Map: 


Location 3- St. Margaret's Church:

This location is very desirable as it supports the look and feel I want behind the video as well as adding those holy connotations I want. The scenery is perfect and the light is perfect for what I want. In addition the many powerful leading lines and unusual shapes allow for really interesting compositions and will also work well when special effects are applied in post. However I do need a back-up location for the church because it is a privately owned indoor venue which means that although it is a place of worship it's still subject to many governmental restrictions at the moment which could bring problems when working to a deadline. As a back-up shooting location I would still like to shoot somewhere with holy connotations/ relation. This could be a graveyard, adding more sinister undertones but still retaining the holy feel. However this could be controversial and disrespectful if tombstones aren't shot from a great distance or blurred or if people are disturbed (which I would make sure does not happen.) I will send a request to film here as it is privately owned, this can be seen in my P3 Consent forms post.


Images: (have been sourced from internet)

This is the exact type of lighting I would love to have when shooting here, need to shoot mid day. 

Many details and powerful compositions which would work really well when shot for B-roll/ filler. 

Low angles create an overpowering feeling and also looks quite ominous when of the stained glass and crucifix. 

Individual seats will work well for the multiple copy effect I want to create, accompanied by a wide angle similar to this. 


Outdoor view, will use an angle similar to this when showing the actor entering the church. 

Map: 


Location 4 - Leeds: Preferably I will shoot in Leeds at night in the rain as I want to get really blurry and dreamy shots, probably with slow shutterspeeds and fast whip transitions. This location is accessible via train (about 20 mins) however at the moment it legally isn't as it's not essential travel which is why the following images have been sourced from online but give a sort of mis-en-scene of what I want my shots to look like from this location. If I'm not legally allowed to shoot here on the day I designated in my schedule I'll just shoot the same style shots but in Ilkley town at night. If it isn't going to be rainy I'll re-schedule to shoot on a day where it is. Train fare 7 GGP. 

Images: 


The high, central angle I'd like to get on the train which will match shots I get in Ilkley, showing the journey to the church location. 


This is pretty much the exact shot I want to get, from  this same place and angle. However I will add a slight camera movement and make sure that the white balance is slightly colder. 


Low angle long exposure shot of traffic passing by on the Leeds streets. 


I will try my best to get a high angle like this in Leeds which may mean waking to the top of a multistory carpark as I don't have access to an apartment. 


Reflections like this on the river or in puddles from car lights are very desirable as they support the exact look I want. Requires low angles and works better with slower shutterspeeds. 

Map: 


Other B-Roll locations: I will also be shooting around Ilkley train station, The grove and down at the river wharfe (in ilkley.)

Images/Mis-en-scene for these locations: 



River wharfe 


The grove


The train station from bridge angle



Risk assessments: 

No comments:

Post a Comment